Quick reply box

Started by Firetooth, April 23, 2011, 07:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firetooth

Has anybody ever been to any other forums where there is a quick reply box? I think it would be a good feature to add, similar to a rep system, but I've already made my viewsd on that clear.

(Image below shamelessly taken from another forum  :-[)

Thoughts?
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Krowdon

I've never used a quick reply box. It would make things easier to post, but is it like an IM where eeryones messages instantly appear when you are on the forum topic, or do you have to refresh?
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Kilkenne

I know that SMF has the option to add one, and pretty much every  forum that I frequent has a quick reply box. It could be as simple as flipping the "Add quick reply box" switch or whatnot, depending on how much the developer bunch has had their hands in the gearbox in this forum over the years. (A lot I expect)

The Lady Shael

That /would/ be useful....I skimmed the admin panel but I couldn't find the option to turn it on. We may have to install a mod to get it.
~The Lady Shael Varonne the Benevolent of the Southern Islands, First Empress of Mossflower Country, and Commandress of the Daughters of Delor

RWLers, your wish is my command...as long as it complies with the rules.

Neobaron

Is it any different from hitting reply? O.o
Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Firetooth

Quote from: Neobaron on April 23, 2011, 01:16:48 PM
You don't have to load a new page to use it.

Example: If you just want to post a small amount of text without quotes, it will save you time. It will save a lot of time for spammers who type out one word responses like "lawl" and "lolol!!!!111one"
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Neobaron

Neobaron, first among the lords of the south and captain of the flying skiff

Quote from: Death on February 08, 2010, 09:40:29 PM
oh lawd the drama done begun yo

Quote from: HolbyI am writing a post explaining how lame you are.

Krowdon

Quote from: Firetooth on April 23, 2011, 01:31:17 PM
Quote from: Neobaron on April 23, 2011, 01:16:48 PM
You don't have to load a new page to use it.

Example: If you just want to post a small amount of text without quotes, it will save you time. It will save a lot of time for spammers who type out one word responses like "lawl" and "lolol!!!!111one"

But if we didnt have to load a new page, the 10 second rule would be enfoced.

I like loading the new page. I have actually dont with the quick reply box, (when I played neopets over 9000 years ago) and I like this method better. And besides, dont quick reply boxes only have so many words? like, 200? kind of like facebook? or can you change that option?
Quote from: Ashyra Nightwingi have work to do and that is why i'm playing rwl, this is how it always works

Firetooth

Obviously you're not meant to use quickly reply boxes for indepth comments, Krowdon lol.

Kilkenne

It actually would be most useful for you spa-room types. All that tedious page refreshing. SAVE THE INTERNET SOME PAGELOADS JEEZE.

Krowdon

Quote from: Firetooth on April 23, 2011, 04:28:59 PM
Obviously you're not meant to use quickly reply boxes for indepth comments, Krowdon lol.

But wouldnt a Quick reply replace the reply? or is it an extra thing?

Because if it replaces reply, I vote no.

Kilkenne

It doesn't replace the regular reply, I just informed Shael over AIM that it is indeed an SMF plugin, I'm messing with it on another site that I admin. It's easy to set up and such, she'll have to get it for this version and such, our plugin was already on so I was just messing with it, I'm pretty sure I broke their forums, which is cool.

The only difference between quick reply and regular reply is that quick reply won't show you the bbcode (your smilies and brackets that make things italic and bold) so if you wanted to format you'd have to do it yourself.

Krowdon

Quote from: Kilkenne on April 23, 2011, 04:41:46 PM
It doesn't replace the regular reply, I just informed Shael over AIM that it is indeed an SMF plugin, I'm messing with it on another site that I admin. It's easy to set up and such, she'll have to get it for this version and such, our plugin was already on so I was just messing with it, I'm pretty sure I broke their forums, which is cool.

The only difference between quick reply and regular reply is that quick reply won't show you the bbcode (your smilies and brackets that make things italic and bold) so if you wanted to format you'd have to do it yourself.

Oh. That makes a lot of sense. We should add one.

Shadow

Meh. Could take it or leave it. There is one at FAF, and I generally don't use it, but that is just personal preference.
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Firetooth

Quote from: Krowdon on April 23, 2011, 04:37:48 PM
Quote from: Firetooth on April 23, 2011, 04:28:59 PM

But wouldnt a Quick reply replace the reply? or is it an extra thing?

Because if it replaces reply, I vote no.
You missed the "...or use standard form in my screenshot." I did underline it to try and make it stand out. :(