Bank leakage

Started by Gen. Volkov, March 07, 2011, 07:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen. Volkov

I've been testing it out, and I think the leak rate is too slow. I think, instead of a fixed rate, whatever amount you are over should be put in to your account when you log on.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

Shadow

abuseable. Eventually market sales will go into the bank (development lined up for a round or two from now), and if it stayed there til people log in, people could stack the bank as an untouchable storehouse.

We can always increase the rate. But the leak is an exponential process, meaning that the less you are over, the slower it leaks. The only reason you haven't seen it leak fast is because you havent been able to get very far over the max. 99% of the overdraft leaks out in a 24 hour period. How much faster could we make it and still be reasonable? =/
<=holbs-.. ..-holbs=> <=holbs-..

Gen. Volkov

How could you stack the bank as untouchable? You'd still have to log on to run turns, and then the overage would empty. There's no way to sell enough on the market that you could afford not to run turns for long enough to really abuse the feature.

As for an increase... I'd say at least 5%, perhaps as much as 10%.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Shadow

By not logging in. You get a partner to make a load of troops, stack the market, log out. Another player buys the troops. Now you have a loaded bank, and nobody can touch it. Log in at leisure to use it. So you lose turns. With a team, it hardly matters. You could also use turns and abuse it by cycling the market loaded troops back and forth between two player's banks.

You are right that the leak is slower than I though, however. I was calculating it as a continuous process, when it is really a discrete sequence. I'll rerun the model tomorrow and get a number that accurately empties 99% in 24 hours.

Gen. Volkov

QuoteYou are right that the leak is slower than I though, however. I was calculating it as a continuous process, when it is really a discrete sequence. I'll rerun the model tomorrow and get a number that accurately empties 99% in 24 hours.

Alright sounds good.

By not logging in. You get a partner to make a load of troops, stack the market, log out. Another player buys the troops. Now you have a loaded bank, and nobody can touch it. Log in at leisure to use it. So you lose turns. With a team, it hardly matters. You could also use turns and abuse it by cycling the market loaded troops back and forth between two player's banks.

The cycling idea would get hurt badly by the market tax, unless that's been eliminated. I get that you could get a partner to make a load of troops, and then send them to you, but he can only do it once. If you log in again to sell more troops, whatever was in your bank over the limit drops into your account. There is no way that I can see for someone to make enough troops in one go to win the round. It's not even a good emp strategy. If you wait and build up troops on your account to sell, you may as well just try and win that way. It's not abuse-able enough to really matter.

Shadow

Meh, it is abuseable, while the leak it not. "Not abuseable at all" is better than "barely abuseable". But I disagree about it not being bad enough to matter. It would be on par with vacation for the purpose of defense, and the extent to which it could be abused is determined by the effort that went into it.

10% bank fees every couple of days is not enough to deter this from looping with a partner either.

EDIT: I tested with the discrete model, and the result is the same. 99% leakage in 24 hours. so I don't think making it faster is necessary, the only reason it seems so slow now is because you are only maybe 10% over your bank limit. Get 500m net, fill the bank, then drop to 30m net and you'll see ^_^.

If it becomes necessary, we could include both leakage when offline and dump the extra cash into your account when you log in. I don't much care what happens when the players are online with their cash, there just has to be some way for it to get into their accounts when they are offline, while still delaying market theft.