S.O.P.H.I.E.

Started by Wisey, July 02, 2010, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisey

Well, first off: what the heck does S.O.P.H.I.E. stand for?

It's a pretty interesting occurrence that has happened, one that some of you might have already been aware about.   This video explains the reason why S.O.P.H.I.E. was created (due to a rather unfortunate attack on a Gothic couple in the UK):

-EDIT-
CONTENT WARNING: This video contains violence and mature themes.
Holby, modding

darkangel_sophie_lancaster_foundation.mov

The description of the video explains the story behind the tribute video, if you watch this on YouTube.  S.O.P.H.I.E. stands for Stamp Out Prejudice, Hate, and Intolerance Everywhere.  The death of Sohpie Lancaster has been pretty devastating -- and scary -- for people of an "alternative" subculture.

I thought I would bring this up to show that being different, belonging to a different "group," doesn't mean you have to be bashed or killed for it.  Now, I must interject that I have nothing against people of the "Chav" community.  But it still irks me, how hate crimes like these continue to happen.  There are many shocking stories of people, who of which belong to an "alternative" group (i.e. Emo, Goth, Punk, Indie, Mosher/Metalhead, Etc.) get abuse and degrading remarks from old classmates, strangers, and even parents.  Teachers and adults are too shy at time to stand up when someone is being beat.  And abuse, bullying, and threats sometimes go too far.

Don't let another Sophie Lancaster happen.

I apologize for the morbid topic.  Feedback, thoughts, and opinions are encouraged.
☠♪ Tenebris In Lux (Wisey) ♪☠
Forever metal and vikings

Firetooth

Prejudice is impossible to defeat, because prejudice is based off stupidity and fear, and those are two of the most plentiful resources at the moment.
Quote from: Sevah on January 02, 2018, 03:51:57 PM
I'm currently in top position by a huge margin BUT I'm intentionally dropping down to the bottom.

Holby

Please advise of any mature content before you post a video.

I don't think this is just about how we should treat 'alternative subcultures', but the way we respond to people everywhere because of their religion/race/nationality/gender/sexual preference/social class/etc.

I think the acronym says it best: Stamp Out Prejudice, Hate, and Intolerance Everywhere.
I will not deleted this

Genevieve

I agree with above, and think it is of more importance to educate against prejudice associated with intrinsic characteristics that aren't a person's choice.
Especially since the "alternative groups" you listed are more like phases that teenagers go through to try and belong by using their taste in music to define themselves.

Wisey

Thanks Holby -- sorry about not moderating the video :/
☠♪ Tenebris In Lux (Wisey) ♪☠
Forever metal and vikings