When We're 50

Started by Blood Wake, May 18, 2009, 12:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

do you think you'll still be playing RWL when you're 50?

of course! Why wouldn't I be?
8 (47.1%)
maybe off and on
4 (23.5%)
no idea
4 (23.5%)
probably not
1 (5.9%)
of course not, who has time for such childish behavior?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Ashyra Nightwing

Yeah, I'll probably still be hanging around. Like Blood Wake, it's something I've grown up with. 7 years? haha.

Gen. Volkov

Let's put it this way, if the Internet and RWL are still around 25 years from now, I'll likely still be playing, but in my mind, that's a big if.
It is said that when Rincewind dies the occult ability of the entire human race will go up by a fraction. -Terry Pratchett

cloud says: I'm pretty sure I'm immune to everything that I can be immune to...brb snorting anthrax.

Sticker334 says(Peace Alliance): OMG! HOBOES

bjornredtail

Quick: Name a 50 year old programming language.
I can only think of Cobol and machine code. And maybe assembly... Oh, and Lisp too.

Okay, name a 30 year old programming language.
C, Pascal, Cobol, Machine/Assembly, FORTRAN... Oh, and Lisp too...

Heck, 30 years ago we were still argueing about the goto statement. Something THAT fundamental to Computer Science had not been fully established. Who knows what will be 'considered harmful' in the next half century. (I'm inclined to think it will be pointer arithmetic, but that's just a guess)

Now, how many of those have been maintained? Better yet, how often will old code work flawlessly, out-of-the-box when feeding it into a newer version of the Language? PHP5 already broke a bunch of stuff. I'm sure a future version will break even more stuff. And eventually, folks will come up with a better web scripting language and PHP will go away, mostly. If RWL is to last that long, it will need maintenance. Thankfully, at least a few of us are software engineers... And it really isn't that hard if you do it a bit at a time.
0==={=B=J=O=R=N=R=E=D=T=A=I=L==>
AKA, Nevadacow
First person to ever play RWL

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!"-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Visit http://frostnflame.org today!

Blood Wake

and who wouldn't be willing to work on the game to keep it up to date? anyone who loves this game, knows some programming, and knows that game is in need of improvement, will already be working on it.
I am Emperor Cornswallow Balthazar Eradicus Shunt VII, ruler of the Blood Wake empire.

picture made by my brother Klowd19

My project, Fasba Fpel broke world records and collaborated with some incredible musicians. Download the free music or watch videos:
h

Mr.Grimm

Sure I'll stay. I have nothing else to do. And I love to be able to plot and no one to judge me about it. >:D